I was reminded recently about a hard time for me when I was working through some old junk in my life. At the time I was still angry and bitter, confused and unaware. In the midst of that time I got to spend countless hours hanging out with God and talking things through.
I decided then I would live a purpose driven life and the only way to stay on track was to lay out some ground rules. I sat in the dust on the hot Ethiopian earth whilst baking under the sun, I pulled out my pad and paper and began to look at the things that would stand in my way. I listed off my short comings, and then I made a reminder rule for each one to help me cross the hurdle.
I sat in the dust on the hot Ethiopian earth whilst baking under the sun, I pulled out my pad and paper and began to look at the things that would stand in my way.
In my more recent years I got to spend my days working in threat mitigation on an IT Security team for a large company. What I hadn’t realized then was that I was preforming an active mitigation of threats and weaknesses by first defining them and then being able to plot out a solution.
Maybe these will help you, or perhaps they can just be a good reminder of things you already know. I took a moment to remember how they can still help me today, and how I need them still. I have added comments to most of them to make them more clear. Try and take each one to heart and think if any of them speak to your own areas of weakness that may threaten your daily life and fervor. Go out there and be great.
01. It doesn’t matter what you do, its all in how you do it.
02. Always pay close attention to the people who want to help you the most, but want nothing in return. (They either love you, or they want something from you)
03. Never let pain stop you from being yourself. (Strong things are forged in fire and pressure)
04. Never be afraid to feel again.
(You can’t always stop the pain, that doesn’t mean the chance of it should stop you.)
05. Everything you run from will catch up with you sometime.
(Don’t put off the needful, there is a reason you don’t want to do it, rise above.)
06. There is always strength in numbers. (Band together, love is stronger then hate.)
07. The hardest thing, is often the right thing. (Don’t be afraid of doing the hard things. You might fail, that makes you stronger if you are willing to learn from your mistakes.)
08. True value is weighed by the cost that is worth paying for it. (If it’s important it costs something, if you aren’t willing to pay for it then it’s not worth it.)
09. Timing and the flow of information are crucial. (There is a right time and a wrong time for everything, always be slow to speak and quick to listen.)
10. Wherever you are, be all there. (Live your life with purpose, sometimes it’s hard to see the forest through the trees. Be aware of your season and surroundings and you will thrive.)